Tuesday, November 9, 2010

One with the Mud

Two quotes from the amazing Lynn Jennings that summarize how I feel about cross country:

"The freedom of Cross Country is so primitive. It's woman vs. nature."


"The footing was really atrocious. I loved it. I really like Cross Country; you're one with the mud."

There is no form of racing that I like more than cross country, running quickly through trees and mud while elbowing your opponents just to get by, sometimes even elbowing these opponents into the trees that you are running quickly by.  Awesome. Sunday was my return to cross country after spending the past month desperately trying to get my hip to cooperate again. I think the return was generally a success, but running that fast came as quite a shock to the system when everyone else has been competing every weekend.  I had some minor concerns that I was going to stroke out the first mile, but by mile two I found my rhythm and settled in. The pace was perhaps a little quicker than I had anticipated, but I was hungry for a good finish, and every time I heard someone cheering for a woman behind me I accelerated.  I ended up with a respectable 3rd place overall and 3rd place for the open women. Overall, the Syracuse Track Club is filled with bad ass women this year.  As a team we essentially destroyed the field for the second week in a row.  Nice job ladies!!!    

This is a pic of me trying to recover from the only hill in the course, the man behind me did not run me over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment